Exploding propane tank burns Petaluma man, damages home
Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 8:48 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 8:48 a.m.
A Petaluma man fiddling with the backyard barbecue badly burned his arm when a leaking propane tank caught fire and a smaller one exploded on Wednesday afternoon, fire officials said.
The man had just refilled the 5-gallon tank and was lighting the barbecue when he heard a hissing sound shortly before 3 p.m., Petaluma Fire Battalion Chief Jeff Holden said.
As he bent over to investigate, the leaking gas flashed, burning the man's arm and spreading flames to an exterior wall of his McGregor Avenue house.
A smaller propane tank like those used for camping exploded under the heat, as well, fire officials said.
The fire from the burning barbecue spread up the wall of the single-story home and into the attic through a gable vent, catching its contents on fire, Holden said.
Petaluma and Rancho Adobe firefighters had to cut into the attic to vent the smoke and heat and to remove stored items from the attic to ensure the fire was out.
The injured man, meanwhile, suffered first- and second-degree burns on his arm, Holden said. Firefighters bandaged him, but he did not want to be transported to a hospital and said he would seek medical aid on his own, Holden said.
The structural damage from the fire was estimated at $15,000, Holden said. There also was smoke damage throughout, he said.
All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
You'll find a number of new technology features available from this site. With personalized news sent straight to your mobile device.
post your stuff
Petaluma360.com is here for you to post your comments, photos, news and events with the community. Post it now!
Have something to say? Join the conversation!
Upload your photos of community events, holidays, pets, cute kids, breaking news and more, and vote for your favorites!
Submit your area events to encourage others in your community to attend.