Woman, dog escape Petaluma house fire
Published: Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 8:47 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 8:47 a.m.
Petaluma fire officials credited a smoke alarm with mitigating losses from a bedroom fire that broke out early Thursday morning after a lamp in a woman's eastside home fell over and broke.
The resident of the house on Caulfield Lane was asleep when the 1 a.m. fire started and was awakened in time to get out safely with her small dog, fire Capt. Jim Gloeckner said.
She helped prevent the flames' spread by closing the door to the back bedroom, in addition to a hallway door, before exiting, he said.
The alarm “definitely did its job,” Gloeckner said. “It alerted there that there was smoke in the house and the fire, and she woke up to fire and actually did a really good job of isolating the fire.”
It helped, as well, that a fire engine was just finishing up a call nearby and arrived quickly at the house fire near Bluegrass Drive, he said.
Copyright © 2013 PressDemocrat.com — All rights reserved. Restricted use only.
All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
You'll find a number of new technology features available from this site. With personalized news sent straight to your mobile device.
post your stuff
Petaluma360.com is here for you to post your comments, photos, news and events with the community. Post it now!
Have something to say? Join the conversation!
Upload your photos of community events, holidays, pets, cute kids, breaking news and more, and vote for your favorites!
Submit your area events to encourage others in your community to attend.