Man charged in Petaluma boy's roadside death yet to enter plea
Published: Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 1:44 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 1:44 p.m.
A Petaluma man who was charged last month with two felony counts of child endangerment in a June roadside accident that led to the death of a 13-year-old boy has yet to enter a plea.
Mike Krnaich, 41, made his first court appearance in the case in Mendocino County court Tuesday but delayed entering a plea to the charges until May 8, officials said.
Krnaich and his wife were driving in a caravan on Highway 101 to Lake Mendocino for their daughter's birthday June 15 with two vehicles full of party guests when Krnaich's Chevrolet pickup ran out of gas just shy of the highway exit, the CHP said.
Several of the kids jumped out to help push the truck, which was towing a ski boat, uphill to the lip of the offramp, which led downhill to a gas station, authorities said.
Among them was Trevor Smith, a Kenilworth Junior High student.
When the truck picked up speed, Smith apparently fell and was run over by the trailer, the CHP said.
Prosecutors decided just over three weeks ago to charge Krnaich in the case, citing what they said were a series of negligent decisions that led to Smith's death and put another child at risk, as well.
He faces a maximum prison term of seven years and four months if convicted.
All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
You'll find a number of new technology features available from this site. With personalized news sent straight to your mobile device.
post your stuff
Petaluma360.com is here for you to post your comments, photos, news and events with the community. Post it now!
Have something to say? Join the conversation!
Upload your photos of community events, holidays, pets, cute kids, breaking news and more, and vote for your favorites!
Submit your area events to encourage others in your community to attend.