Veteran Bob Harriott 'proud to have made it back'

World War II army veteran Bob Harriott says he was glad to be able to ride instead of march in Sunday's Veterans Day Parade.

Sixty-six years have passed between Harriott's first and second appearances in a Petaluma parade for veterans. So, though Harriott is spry at 86 years-old, it is understandable that he was looking forward to waving to the crowd from a jeep. "I didn't plan to be in this year's parade; it was my daughter who put it together. But there I was, in the same parade I marched in when I was 20 years-old."

As meaningful as it was for the Petaluma native to be in the parade in 1946, one year after the war ended, the 2012 parade was an even prouder moment because riding alongside him was his 24 year-old granddaughter and Marine, Laura Christensen.

Veterans Day Parade


Harriott grew up on a chicken ranch on Corona Road. Because his birthday is Dec. 6, one day before Pearl Harbor Day, he distinctly recalls the start of the war. "I remember listening to President Roosevelt on the radio declare war as I was celebrating my 16th birthday," he says.

The army was drafting 18-year-olds right out of high school, however, if a young man was within six months of graduation, as Harriott was, he was allowed to stay and graduate.

"They needed bodies to serve; a lot of my good friends didn't even get to finish high school," he said. "I graduated on May 26 and in two weeks I was gone."

Harriott completed his basic training at Camp Roberts in central California, now used as a National Guard post, before eventually sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge on a troop ship to Manila in the Philippines.

Harriott's military occupational specialty as a rifleman put him at the front lines of action for three months in the Pacific Theater where he was part of the invasion to recapture Luzon, the large, northernmost Philippine island, from the Japanese.

"In 1945, I was in an amphibious vehicle on a beachhead, landing on southern Luzon," he recalled. Harriott downplays the intensity of his time in the line of fire: "Things could get pretty hectic with people shooting at you and shooting back."

Following the end of the war in September of 1945, Harriott shipped to Yokohama and then to Tokyo where he re-enlisted for another year. He expected to stay in Japan for the remainder of his service but through a fortunate series of events, Harriott was able to be stationed at Two Rock, which functioned as a Signal Intercept Station with top secret operations.

© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View