56°
Light fog
THU
 91°
 54°
FRI
 96°
 54°
SAT
 89°
 56°
SUN
 86°
 55°
MON
 84°
 55°

Petaluma progressives regroup after election

As one new moderate Democrat prepares to join the Petaluma City Council — making what many consider to be a 5-2 moderate majority — the progressive democrats in town are busy recovering from the aftermath of their poor showing at the November election, with Mayor David Glass announcing plans this week for a 2014 mayoral run alongside former Mayor Pam Torliatt, who will be seeking a City Council seat.

The announcement comes on the heels of the three progressive-backed candidates finishing at the bottom of the recent City Council election. Former councilmember and progressive political leader David Keller said that progressives will be having a series of conversations about what they need to do to get their goals across to the voters in the next election.

"It's always an issue of marketing in politics," said Keller. "We need to look at how to better represent our identity as a group."

According to final election results released Friday, the three more moderate candidates, Mike Healy, Gabe Kearney and Kathy Miller, collectively captured 58 percent of Petaluma's votes, while the three more progressive candidates, Vice Mayor Tiffany Ren?, Jason Davies and Alicia Kae Herries took the remaining 42 percent. Even though progressives got close to half of the vote, not one was elected to council.

David McCuan, a political science professor at Sonoma State University, attributed the progressives' loss, in part, to strategy. He said that had the progressives run two candidates instead of three, they could have regained a 4-3 progressive majority on the council, with Ren? keeping her seat and either Davies or Herries joining her.

"In Petaluma, they absolutely split the vote," said McCuan. He pointed out that if 42 percent of the population had voted for just two candidates instead of three, the results could have been very different. For instance, Mike Healy would likely have retained his seat, but Ren? and another progressive candidate could have each garnered a larger 21 percent of the vote, which would have been enough to beat out Kearney and Miller, who got 17 and 16 percent respectively.

McCuan called splitting the vote a "misstep" and partially credited it to Ren?'s decision to run for Congress and some progressives not endorsing her because of it. "Things might have been different if Ren? hadn't run for Congress against party favorite Norm Solomon, who she effectively split the vote with in that race as well," said McCuan.

Earlier this year, Ren? campaigned in the primary for the newly redrawn Second Congressional District. She faced off against 11 other candidates in an effort to become one of the top two vote-getters and move onto the November ballot. Favorite Jared Huffman, who ultimately won the seat, was considered a shoo-in by many, leaving the real race a tightly contested battle for second place between three other candidates, one of them progressive candidate Norman Solomon. Solomon ultimately came in third place, with Ren? pulling a portion of progressive votes that may have otherwise gone to him.

After Ren?'s congressional run, some prominent progressives, such as Glass and Torliatt, chose to endorse Jason Davies, who ran unsuccessfully in 2010, and Alicia Kae Herries, a political newcomer and current planning commissioner, for Petaluma City Council. Still, other progressives, including Keller, endorsed Ren?. Ultimately, the Sonoma County Democratic Party endorsed all three candidates.

Aside from splitting the vote in Petaluma, local progressives also had to deal with publicity surrounding the Sonoma County Democratic Party endorsements, during which Glass, Torliatt, and State Assembly candidate Michael Allen lobbied strongly for the progressive candidates after an initial committee recommended Healy, Kearney and Davies. It was a move seen by several in attendance as controversial, though McCuan and Keller both said the endorsement process was "messy" for all political parties.


© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View