Fire calls

The Petaluma Fire Department recorded 132 calls during the weeks of July 17 to July 23.

Wednesday, July 19

5:50 p.m.: Bystanders helped put out a fire at 100 Fairgrounds that appeared to have been sparked by a discarded cigarette. Firefighters dumped 10 gallons of water on the bark to ensure the fire was out before clearing out.

Friday, July 21

11:40 a.m.: A construction crew digging a trench along Petaluma Boulevard South struck a gas line, prompting road closures and evacuations in the immediate area. Firefighters stayed on scene until PG&E crews arrived and stopped the leak.

Sunday, July 23

12:22 a.m.: Firefighters responded to reports of a rollover crash at the southbound Pepper Road off-ramp. California Highway Patrol officers found the man in an adjacent field, and fire personnel transported him to Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital.

Monday, July 24

11:30 a.m.: A Petaluma mother and her 2-year-old son were taken to Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital for treatment of minor injuries after they were hit by a vehicle near Walnut Park. The driver was uninjured, and the roads in the area were closed briefly.

Wednesday, July 26

6:25 a.m.: Firefighters responded to reports of a downed motorcyclist at the East Washington Street on ramp. The male patient in the solo vehicle crash was transported to Petaluma Valley Hospital. The motorcycle was towed and crews cleaned up debris from the roadway before clearing out.

Thursday, July 27

10:39 a.m.: A grease fire that sparked in Taco Bell at 406 East Washington St. prompted evacuations and drew a resonance from all of Petaluma’s available fire personnel. Employees were able to shut down the fryer and activate the kitchen’s extinguishing systems to extinguish the blaze before it caused any damage. Employees began cleaning up the mess and the Health Department was called. The restaurant was closed until Health Department officials allowed the facility to reopen.

Friday, July 28

6:37 p.m.: Employees from Anna’s Seafood used fire extinguishers to make quick work of a blaze that started in a dumpster at 1370 Redwood Way. Workers reported smelling smoke before discovering a medium-size fire. The cause of the fire wasn’t determined, but the business owner reported past issues with transients lighting cooking fires in the area. Smoke from the fire caused minor stains on a nearby building.

Saturday, July 29

12:22 a.m.: A 1946 Castle Drive caller reported that his electric skateboard caught fire shortly after he’d plugged it into a wall outlet to charge it. He put out the fire before personnel arrived, though the board and some of the hardwood flooring in the home were destroyed.